Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A week plus some later


I figured I'd update while I'm all sore and just sitting around.

School started yesterday, my final year at UNM. I had what could only be described as a briefing at my new job- lots of protocol, lots of In Case of Emergency plans (which apparently get enacted quite a bit, since the crazy people know where the senator's office is). After that I had some errands to run, which I got through with a minimal amount of pain (towards the end I started suffering from both my ankle and the heat), which was just in time for classes. The school part was easy- the periods of sitting down countered the walking nicely and although I was sore (and still am), there wasn't any pain.

It's always kind of funny to see all the people who come back to school with casts and boots and crutches, and it was entertaining to be one of them. They should sell School Spirit Medical Wear, like boots with (in my case) Louie the Lobo or the UNM logo on them, in bright cherry red. Or red and silver crutches with UNM written on the sides. There could be an industry in this. :)

EDIT- I may have taken a few steps back. Because I've been walking, I haven't remembered to do the little exercises the hot doctor told me to and have lost some of my flexibility. Though that may be because of the moderately severe swelling this evening. What happened was, there were zero parking spots on campus, so I made an executive decision to go park in the commuter lot (where I did before all this) and take the free shuttle to campus.... By disregarding the whole reason I have the temporary handicap permit (so I DON'T have to deal with buses and walking and all that until I'm healed more), I have reaped some punishment this evening. When I got home after class I was having moderate pain, and this evening I've got a nice sore throb going on.

Moral: Just get to campus three hours before class on Tuesdays/Thursdays and find something to do to pass the time instead of merely hoping I'll find a parking spot. Hopefully the swelling will go down with some ice and pain meds. Doctor appointment on Friday to determine how to go about things like physical therapy for the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment