Saturday, August 7, 2010

How I Chill

Most of my time is spent sitting or laying around in my apartment. Because it's not very large and the furniture provide obstacles, I have difficulties using my crutches here. So this is how I usually get around:

My desk chair and its five wonderful wheels. I turn the chair around, look over my shoulder, and propel myself backwards. Using the amazing desk chair I can sit and cook in the kitchen, get to the front door, open windows, and reach the television and my laptop without having to get up. The cable guard on the floor cuts off my bedroom and bathroom from the realm of the chair, so I still have to crutch to get to those. A perk of this furniture layout is that it's easy to transfer to the couch or prop my feet up while still in the chair.

Another useful trick is when I'm sitting around and realize that something that I want is a few feet out of reach. I have provided a scenario in the following photos, using my ice pack as the thing I want (which I really did want). Those chips and salsa are for snacking after I finish this blog.
First, I locate the desired object- my ice pack.
I use the armpit part of the crutch to scoot the object to the edge of the table and push it to the floor. Objects to avoid are the bowl of salsa, chips, and my stack of GRE study cards (the white things).
Once the ice pack is on the floor I can just scoot it to me, where my gimp foot is waiting for refreshing coolness.

And that is how to be as extremely lazy as possible.


1 comment:

  1. Haha! Since I have been back at work, I roll all over our office. It is so much easier! I wish I would have thought of using a desk chair for my house. I have noticed crutches can be nice for retrieving things as well.

    Where did you get your ice pack? I have been looking for one like that but unable to find anything.

    ReplyDelete