Friday, August 13, 2010

Walk Hard

Walking is hard.

It turns out the doctor had to actually physically take my crutches away and make me walk some without them before I trusted myself enough to try it on my own (he gave them back but said not to use them anymore). I'm still in my boot- the same one I've been in pre- and post-surgery- and I'm supposed to ditch the crutches and walk with just the boot.

The doctor was fairly impressed with my range of movement in the foot, and lack of pain. The swelling at my ankle disappointed him, but at least it doesn't swell more or less- it's always the same amount. He tightened up my boot and kicked me out. In two weeks after hefty walking I go back to see him (Friday 27th) and then start physical therapy for strengthening.

So I WALKED to my car (very slowly and fearfully), and then when I got back to my apartment building I WALKED to my apartment (a neighbor stopped and asked if I was okay, and I explained that I was walking. I don't think she understood). Around 11:45 I'm going to WALK back to my car and then to the GRE testing center, and this evening I'm going to go celebrate.

Currently, my ankle is very confused that it doesn't get to ride along anymore, and my thigh is already sore from the minimal walking I've done so far. This is really odd but I think my favorite part of my newfound mobility is that I'll be able to take my own trash out again instead of asking my friends to.

EDIT- (Later on, same day)
I took my own trash out, and walked into and out of the GRE just fine. I did pretty well, not sure if it's the best score I could have gotten but it's better than any I have so far. I wrote the crap out of the essays. They're 5's or 6's for sure!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on walking! It is sooo hard. My ankle is swollen and not very happy, but I am :)!

    Enjoy your mobility this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strangely, my knee hurts on the bum leg. So do my heel and the bottom of my foot. Ankle only hurts mid-step. We'll see how it feels tomorrow :)

    Walking is incredible! I can hold things in my hands while I do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! You're making progress! Every day it gets a little easier.. just hang in there! It'll come! :)

    ReplyDelete