Thursday, September 2, 2010

First physical therapy session

This isn't my first round of physical therapy for this ankle, however it is the first post-surgery so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Yesterday was my first session of it, about 40 minutes long, crammed in between work and classes. The drive took 40 minutes, which will hopefully decrease if I take the highway through the Death Exit and survive (no exit ramp should suddenly develop four lanes, merge with the frontage road, and hit a major intersection at the same time, that's a stupid design for such a heavy traffic flow).

I'll probably be remaining at Peak Motion for the duration of my therapy even though it's so far away because it's a nice small friendly place with huge windows for natural light and a nice variety of equipment and other stuff. The therapists had this nice casual banter with each other that was nice while I was laying there having my foot twisted around- to increase my flexibility (it was freakish how well it worked, plus the swelling went down). I was put in this freezing cold ice sleeve that I could probably develop a hatred for, although I did feel better later once I thawed out.

My p.t. homework is to do about six exercises- sitting and lifting my heels off the ground, then the same thing but with my toes, tracing out the alphabet, a sort of elevated-straightening-my-foot-out exercise, curling my toes, and scrunching up a towel with my toes. Most of these I am supposed to do daily whether I have therapy or not, and on the days I don't have therapy I'm to do them twice in multiple sets.

Because of my limited free time and Labor Day on Monday, my next therapy appointment is Tuesday. I'm going to start strengthening excercises on things like the treadmill and elliptical. Next Friday I ditch the boot and go into regular tennis shoes, however therapy will continue for 2-3 more weeks after that. My next doctor appointment is on Oct. 1st, at which time I will hopefully be pronounced cured.

My personal goal is to be either walking or riding my bike on paved, relatively flat trails by the end of the month.

No comments:

Post a Comment