Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Post Op Appointment 2

First, I'd like to thank the City of Albuquerque for having handicap-accessible port-a-potties at their annual fireworks display at the Balloon Fiesta Field on Sunday. That made my afternoon much, much nicer. And I'd also like to thank WalMart for selling surprisingly nice lawnchairs for $10, because I sat in one for six hours straight and was not at all uncomfortable. And thank you to all the people who walk up to me and tell me about their surgeries and large scars in public, in stores, in general, I like a good story. Below is me, along with a friend, hanging out at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta field on the 4th until the fireworks that night.

And now, to business-
Today was my second post-surgery appointment. It was surprisingly brief- the green cast was taken off and I didn't actually pass out this time, which was a nice change. If I had any inclination towards graphic injury photos I would show you my foot, however that's probably better left alone for a few more weeks until it's scarred over. My foot's still incredibly swollen and very bruised (I bruise easily), and the healing incision is probably five inches long- from a little way above my ankle to almost the bottom of my foot. It will look very cool in a few months.

The sutures got removed as well. Getting the sutures out was kind of painful because of the snipping, which pulled on my very abused skin, however it was over pretty quickly and my second and final cast was put on. I had mentioned the irritated skin spot near my toes to the doctor, but there wasn't any redness anywhere around that problem zone so we chalked it up to the bandages.

Something important I need to add is that my calf has been hurting this last week or so, off and on, mostly after I do something physical. Dad insists it's my calf muscle trying to not wither away, however my doctor made his Serious Face and said that if it started hurting consistently to immediately call him because I may develop a blood clot from inactivity (which is why long periods of inactivity are frowned upon, and they tell you to move your limbs around every hour or so). At the moment I don't think I have one, and I think it really is my calf rioting when I do activities that require its use, however blot clots are not to be taken lightly so I will be keeping an eye on that.

My next appointment is on the 16th, in 10 days, and I will be getting the cast off and be put back in my boot, with very light therapeutic exercises to help that foot learn to walk again. At the moment I can only bend three of my toes and move my foot about a centimeter without help (I had to at the doctor's), so there's quite a bit of work to do still.

So unless I find something to talk about before then, I'll see you next weekend.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I had my surgery on June 21st, its nice to compare stories. I was concerned about a blood clot too! My doctor has me taking a baby aspirin everyday to prevent that. I also heard its good to bend your knee and wiggles your toes.

    I started a blog too!
    http://howisurvivedmyperonealtendonsurgery.blogspot.com/

    Wishing you speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! I was mostly worried because I'm already anemic, so I have no idea what a blood thinner would do to me.

    I'll definitely check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete