Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Albuquerque Isotopes


On Friday, my dad and I went to a baseball game. The local minor league team is the Albuquerque Isotopes (like in The Simpsons), and they've got a really sweet stadium to play in. Tickets are cheap, food is cheap, there's always a huge turnout for the games, and the 'Topes aren't that bad at the game. It took Dad awhile to finagle handicap seating out of them, since my crutches are cumbersome and there was nowhere to put them, I can't exactly do stairs or climb over people, and they were pretty much sold out of seats. The seats we did get were really close to home plate, and there was a nacho stand right behind us so I ate well. That's me eating in the photo, and the Dippin' Dots that I got because I wanted the little baseball cap.


Mostly it was nice to be out of my apartment and in the fresh air. I happen to enjoy baseball in small amounts, plus I know the rules from six years of softball as a kid. There was a mascot competition/dance off that was very entertaining. These two in the photo had a synchronized routine to a Black Eyed Peas song, a bug challenged one of the opposing team's players to a dance-off, some Mexican food had a race, and a fish ate an Isotopes player.


There were a lot of handicapped people in attendance- the available seating was completely full all the way around the field, which was also nice. The minimal amount of stairs were nice, and employees and other people present were very understanding and didn't get in the way or anything when I was trying to crutch around (especially in the fan store). Plus, the parking guy let us park in at the drop-off lane when the handicap spots filled up (I do have a temporary handicap permit while I'm on crutches) so it wasn't far from the stadium to the car- about thirty yards.

So baseball game as a nice evening out while on crutches: A+.

No comments:

Post a Comment