Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A week and a half later

My next appointment isn't for a week, but I felt like I should update anyway.

So far so good, as far as healing is concerned. I have very little to no pain on a daily basis, and finally am sleeping almost nonstop every night (instead of waking up and propping my cast back up on the pillow I have for that). I have this troublesome suture on the foot end of the ankle surgery cut- when they were wrapping up my surgery it kept bleeding, and I currently have this burning stinging feeling there where it's rubbing on the gauze. It doesn't hurt much but it is very annoying. Other than that I don't have almost any pain.

I've done lots of little one- stop trips with my mom, since that's about all my arms are up for, such as going out to eat or seeing a movie (Toy Story 3, because you're never too old for that). Mostly I sit on the couch watching tv and reading books all day.

I have made some observations about things that have made this easier:
1. Shower seat- I have one of those tubs with the showerhead in them, and what I do is sit on the seat and have my casted leg sticking out of the tub under the shower curtain (wrapped in a trash bag and duct tape). It looks silly but works.
2. Mom or other person you wouldn't mind seeing you without your clothing or dignity- especially the first week or so after surgery when you have to figure out how to do things like use the toilet on one leg, bathe, or change clothes. They're also good for less awkward things like making food or getting the mail so you don't have to get up and do it.
3. Shower head with detachable nozzle- I love them anyway because of the detachable nozzle on the rope, especially with how I can't move in the shower.
4. Bike gloves- For when you're out and crutching. Better grip, fingerless so you can touch things, and most importantly for preventing huge palm blisters. Plus they look cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment